Monday, November 5, 2007

You can go in, you can go out, but you can't go back In.

To Everbody:

I've been thinking about liminoids, liminality, cyborgs and "statelessness", Naufal and the General, and other generally unintelligible relationships in my life and ours.

I also came upon Cariana Carianne, two artists in one body through the Singular/Plural issue of Bitch magazine (Read for free at your local Bird library..I will try to copy the article for next time, probably not tomorrow.)

Also, here is another link via new city chicago about the artists. I like the part about "the freedom of an unregulated body"


-

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

I have a book to give you tomorrow that I think you will enjoy based on this post (I have three copies, so purging the shelf). The idea of borderless and unregulated bodies and liminal spaces has always been one of my favorites.

jess said...

I had a chance to see a bunch of Carianacarianne work at MassMoCA this summer, and it was some pretty wierd shit.* It was alot of diagrams and evidence and a video that consisted of her talking to herself while sitting on a coach about her double (or whatever she wants to clal it) identity. Not that I can't appreciate carianacariannes' success at turning their schizophrenia into "art," I have mixed feelings about carianacarianne's work. On the whole, I find it pretty selves-centered. And mono-dimension(s)al. Although I recognize the documentation as important, as a means to authenticate a perhaps previously undocumented one, as well as a way to explore liminality of being(s), I still have a hard time appreciating it.

But as far as now, I'm completely self-satisfied by my schizophrenia jokes (of course only induced by the stomach-bug hysteria/dimentia).









*and by "wierd shit" I mean that it doesn't particularly appeal to my personal aesthetic; it was in the same big room as a traditinal pagan witch circle made of oversized, Michael's craft store-esque halloween harvest themed thrones; and yet not FUCKING wierd shit in the way the gum ball machine filled with used tampons and topped off with a wolf's taxidermed head which shared the same space as a bunch of religious/trans/mutilation work was pretty fucking wierd shit.